The current worldwide concern with reducing our impact on the environment has not left the printing industry behind. Far from it, printers these days are more and more conscious of the demand for greener printing processes and supplies. As a result, their demand for better and greener equipment and options is also increasing. Manufacturers are listening and producing eco friendly printers, inks, and printing media. In the meantime, here are some of the ways that a printer can work to lessen their impact on the environment:
• Using energy efficient printing equipment. This does not just mean finding printer options with better energy options. It also means using machines that do not require extra energy using equipment—such as ventilation equipment or external dryers.
• Creating printed materials that are 100% recyclable. This requires careful attention to both printing medium and ink choice.
• Reducing or eliminating fumes. This also comes down to careful equipment choice, but more and more printers are designed with these concerns in mind.
• Choosing eco friendly inks. There are a number of factors that make for an eco friendly ink—it can be water soluable, pollutant free, non toxic, non flammable—anything that makes them safer to work with and dispose benefits the environment in the long run.
• Abide by green business printing measures. These include the recycling of all materials as well as duplex printing and other sensible conservation practices.
There are actually many different ways to make the printing industry more environmentally friendly. Because they recognize the importance of the issue, most companies are already hard at work on reducing their impact as well as their customers’. If you’re looking to make sure your print order are produced with as much environmental consciousness as possible, then ask your printer for suggestions. Your large format digital printer can help point you towards the best options.